29 May 2006

Fanfare

Another Sunday afternoon in Limonad, another fanfare parade. This time, the celebration was for fête des mères - mother's day - which is a big event in Haiti.

Celebrating mother's day with cola and sandwiches at a party in the baptist church in Limonad.

The last few weeks have also been the season for children from Roman Catholic families to take their first communion - another occasion for dressing up and throwing a party. Strangely, when you are invited to a "communion" in Haiti, they are talking about the party, not the church service. I have found myself acting as official photographer at several of these events. Here Nana, aged 11, is cutting the cake while her mother and sister look on.

This is what is known in Creole as a pakèt ti moun: a "packet" (a whole load) of children. This photo was not posed - the crowd just gathered and stared at me in silence while I chatted with a friend after the parade. This photo may give you some idea of how conspicuous I feel being white in this country!